Archive for the ‘Terry Taurus 5th Wheel Repairs’ Category

19
Oct 18

Terry Taurus Chapter 1

This is about the repairs to our 5th Wheel trailer, a 29 foot Terry Taurus by Fleetwood. We have used the trailer for car shows and vacations as well as extra accomodation for visiting relatives (which is much better than staying in our house). Then one eventful day we discovered a problem. It all started with a bit of water dripping from the shelf just above the sink in the kitchen area. Even though it is an 1985 the trailer was not in bad condition,

I checked the outside of the roof and things seemed to be Ok but the roof and wall around the leak inside the trailer seemed to be a bit soft. (Now I know what that means). It means the wood is rotten. I removed the paneling from the affected corner found the rotten wood, and just kept going following the rotten wood. I ended up removing the whole wall on the kitchen side going over the roof and down the wall on the other side by the doorway. This meant taking out the sink and cupboards, the ceiling panels, the cupboards and paneling on the complete wall. The pictures I took are when most of the wood replacement had been done. The first to be replaced was along the sink area

which also housed the electrical box and naturally the plumbing to the sink, drain, gas to the stove plus the heating vents and pipes.

 The wood also needed to be replaced up the complete wall and across the ceiling and down the other wall by the door. The wiring also needed to be sorted and checked and plug sockets replaced.

The cupboards are a structural support to the walls and door openings on the trailer as are some of the partitions. I am going to put those back. Though it is interesting that now I can see the trailer is built from the inside out with the outside skin being placed on last. The whole trailer assembly is built with lightness in mind. The thinking in the design I find is very similar to that of  a Uni-body car.

I have managed to get the walls and ceilings finished and even got some of the cupboards in place, thanks to our good neighbour Steve’s help.

Though now I have discovered a bit of a problem in the front of the trailer that needs to be addressed. So I will need to leave the interior and fix the outside before the weather changes.

To be continued.

 

 

18
Oct 18

Terry Taurus Chapter 2

Well in the past two weeks (it is now early October) I have made a good effort and managed to get the front of the 5th Wheel Trailer back on before the winter. The original leak in the kitchen wall has been repaired and now I’m finishing the interior cupboards and walls. My wife Patti mentioned that she noticed  a problem in the bedroom over the 5th wheel in the left hand corner of the roof which was starting to bulge and drop down. Now that I am far more experienced with RV repairs I knew what the problem was before I took the paneling out, another water leak. You can hope for the best but by the time the leak shows itself it going to be pretty bad.

The difference this time is that I repaired the problem from the outside. That is removing the aluminum sheeting from the trailer. As it is a lot easier than removing the interior to get at the problem.

As you can see in the picture I took part of the front off  and ended up taking off the top section as well and part of the roof. Also part of the side needed to be removed. The wood was of course rotten from all the water damage, that’s the black stuff (mold) where it should be clean wood. Along the side and the main piece over the 5th wheel were in bad shape.

As was the lower section near the storage space.

I have managed to replace the rotten wood now with new along with some of the panelling. That is a bit tricky due to the original construction of the whole panel which was fitted to the full inside wall before the cupboards, shelves and beds were installed. I also needed to replace three of the roof spans at the very front of the trailer. I rolled the roof covering back to access them. I removed the old faded marker lights and replaced them with new ones as well.

I have now got the whole thing back together and sealed up ready for the winter. I intend to get the heater working as I had all the vents and heater pipes out when I did the kitchen area. That will allow me to finish the work on the interior even if it’s a bit nippy.

To be continued.